Tomas Koolhaas, son of world-famous architect Rem Koolhaas (whose Seattle Central Library will be featured in our Libraries episode), is making a different kind of architecture documentary — the subject of which happens to be his own father. He recently told Architectural Record what he hopes to accomplish with Rem:
I am trying to convey something that has really been missing from a lot of architecture documentaries, and that is people. In most films, 80 percent is made up of talking-head interviews, and the other 20 percent is made of graphic images or empty shots of the buildings. They have some useful, interesting intellectual information in them, but they are quite one-dimensional and dry. I never felt that they were touching, or very evocative, or very visually stimulating. What I set out to do was show all of these things, which I have seen at every one of Rem’s buildings.
The film’s first trailer was recently released. Watch it below, then head over to Architectural Record to read the full interview.