Big news for Frank Lloyd Wright fans: The architect’s research tower for the S.C. Johnson company, completed in the 1940s and closed in 1982, will be open this year to public tours. Although the company has opened many of its FLW-designed buildings to curious architect lovers, the research tower has not previously been one of them, largely because of safety concerns. Now that the building is undergoing a major renovation, S.C. Johnson is ready to allow the public inside.
Chicago Tribune architecture critic Blair Kamin has more information about the tours and the building:
Inside the building, which has undergone a yearlong restoration, exhibits on two floors will tell the story of how Wright’s architecture stimulated S.C. Johnson scientists. The exhibits will also include archival photographs and correspondence between Wright and company leader H.F. Johnson, Jr.
The tour, which will last two hours, will bring visitors inside several buildings on the S.C. Johnson campus, including the tower and the Wright-designed Administration Building, a low-slung office building that opened in 1939 and is best known for its lily pad-shaped interior columns.
Image: David Cobb Craig.